Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Follow the Book, Please

I saw the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on Friday night. I had wanted to rewatch the first one before seeing the second movie, but I didn't have time. So, I went and read the movie synopsis online as a refresher. Anyway, I personally thought that the movie was great, but apparently a lot of people did not share my opinion.

I became aware after watching the first movie that the content for the new trilogy was taken out of three other books by Tolkien. I don't remember the names of the books, I think one was called the Simirilian, but I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing/spelling that correctly. It is kind of obvious that they are drawing from other sources, like the fact that Legolas is in the movie. Anyway, a lot of the people I know who are fans of Tolkien were kind of mad at the movie. They felt that it didn't follow the book, and that the director put too much in, like the love plots. (I say they put that in for the girls, but whatever). I guess I don't really have a say in this because I've never actually read the book. (I know, shocker) I liked the movie a lot, but apparently that was just because I didn't know any better.

I don't want this to turn into a rant session, but I really am staring to get annoyed with people who complain when the movie doesn't follow the book perfectly. Now I'm not saying that I'm not disappointed when my favorite book isn't done justice on the big screen, and I get somewhat annoyed when I think about movies like Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief. That movie was really horrible. But in a lot of cases (ok maybe in some cases), the movie doesn't turn out too bad, and I think this was the case with The Hobbit. I thought the actors and the director did a pretty good job with it considering the book doesn't have enough content to make into a trilogy, and the other two books by Tolkien don't have enough content to put together a whole movie. And it's just my opinion, but I'd rather have three good movies than one. I heard one person say that the movie was a waste of time and money. I think that's going a little too far, and it's not supporting the actors or the director, and it ruins the atmosphere for everybody else. So what, it wasn't the best thing you've seen. Make the best of it and enjoy it. I did.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had on the subject. I hope I don't offend anyone- everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.