Monday, December 16, 2013

Ender's Game

Since I work at the library, I am very up to date on all the new books that we get in, especially the ones going into the YA and Children's Area, because that's mainly where I shelve. Last week I picked up Ender's Game from the stack of new books I was shelving. I heard one of my friends talking about it and saw that they made it into a movie, so I decided to read it. Plus, I love being one of the first people to read a copy of a book. It smells so good.

I finished it in a couple of days, mostly due to the fact that I couldn't put it down. I don't write reviews well, so bear with me. Also, it is probably going to sound somewhat vague; I don't want to spoil it for other people.

In one word: brilliant. In many words:

I don't normally like child violence; I'm not a fan of the Hunger Games at all. But this book was really intriguing. I have to confess, when I found out the kid was six at the beginning, I was a little hesitant. However, this book isn't a kid's book at all. While it may be about a child, the book its definitely geared toward an older audience. Ender's mind was way more complex that of a little boy's. The book kept me guessing at what was going to happen until the very end.

I noticed a few grammatical errors while I read the book, but then I realized Orson Scott Card had intended it sound that way. It made it more informal and helped the reader to make a stronger connection with Ender and the way he thought.

Anyway, I really liked the book and look forward to watching the movie. Asa Butterfield is one of my favorite actors (probably the only kid actor I like) and I'm really excited to see him as Ender. I also requested the rest of the books from the library. Hopefully they are all as amazing as the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.