Friday, December 13, 2013

Short Story - Dollar General Robbery

Dollar General Robbery

Courtney E.
            There was no other option. I had to do it. If I didn’t, they would kill me. Say I wasn’t brave enough to carry it out, and so could no longer be a part of them. This was the only way to stay alive, let alone provide for myself and my siblings. Of course I don’t want to do it. I just didn’t see any way out of my predicament. I used to hate crime. Three years ago, I would have been the last person to rob anything and the first person to report anyone doing so. I was “straight” then.  But life isn’t as easy as that. There is much more to it than being a “good boy” as I was called. Now I was twenty – one. I haven’t even applied to any colleges, and barely made it through my senior year in high school.
            I pulled my blue hood over my head and pulled up the mask. Turning around, I saw the faces of the people I now had to rely on, the gang. They were my family now, I told myself. Sure didn’t feel like family. I turned around and checked the gun attached to my belt. Shakily, I made my way into the store. There weren’t a whole lot of people, just a handful. I looked around, wondering what I should do next. I could make a run for it. Never see any of them again. Maybe even make a life for myself. But what about my family? What would my mom do without me to provide? I grimaced as I thought of my way of “providing”. Some job.
            I walked to the back of the store to gather my thoughts. I had to finish this job, or people I loved would suffer. And the gang would call me a coward. That was the biggest reason, not that I was all so sure that anyone would hire me for a real job. I had gathered quite a reputation within the last few years, and was pretty sure the people around ignored me on purpose. There was no other option, I was sure of it.
            I walked up to the cashier, my hand still shaking. He asked if he could help me, I didn’t reply but merely kept my head down and tried to focus on the gum rack in front of me. I even picked one up. I used to chew gum all the time. I really enjoyed the feeling of fresh air in my mouth. But that was when I used to care about that kind of stuff. I put the gum down and turned back to the cashier. I needed to get this over with.
            I pulled out the gun and held it in front of me. Breathing heavily, I demanded that he hand over the money or else. I don’t think I sounded very convincing. Not to mention the fact that I didn’t even know how to use this weapon, and didn’t plan too. I may be a thief, but I am not a murderer. The cashier just looked at me in surprise, and then his hand reached for the phone. I looked at the gun in my hand. Then I ran.

--This was an assignment for a writing class I took a while ago. I was supposed to turn a news story into something fictional.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.