Monday, January 27, 2014

Yet Another Tech Problem

Okay, so I got my computer back, but I ran into other technology problems. Our family used to have DirectTV as our television service, however our internet and phone is Verizon, and she recently received a better off to do cable tv with them for a better price. So, I hook up the Verizon box. (Yes, I'm the established Master-of-Everything-Tech in my house, so naturally this became my job. So I plug everything into the correct ports and turn the tv and the cable box on. Nothing happens. Okay, so I missed something. I double check all cords and repeat this several times. I input to the correct channel on the TV, and I get a flashing distorted image and then it goes blue. Hallelujah, we have another tech problem. So now I have to talk to people. Which I hate. A lot. Even if it is on chat, (because apparently everyone that works at Verizon is introverts; when you call their phone lines, you can't talk to an actual person, it is all something that sounds like Siri. So in order to talk to a human being, you must "chat".) it is annoying to me because they still seem to not understand what you are saying even when you are typing it.

Anyway, so after chatting for about an hour the guy tells me that our service isn't "technically" activated for two more days. ...
I try again after two more days and there is not difference. You guessed it - I'm back on chat with another Verizon employee who tells me not to worry he will fix the problem today. I had my doubts. So I waste another two hours of my time, to no avail. Since we are having no success, he tells me that they are going to send another box. We get said box the next day, (I guess I can be impressed with the fast shipping), and skeptically I hook it up. Ta-da! Nope.

I would like to say that by at this point in time I was feeling EXTREMELY TICKED. I was toying around with various ideas on how do destroy the cable boxes in the most satisfying way.
I was feeling something like this:










But I probably ended up looking like this, because generally I'm too angry to say anything.












In the end they ended up sending someone out to our place who could technically charge us if they discovered that the problem was our fault. By now I had narrowed the situation down to two possibilities:
1. There was a problem with our TV, and possible something to do with the cable section on the TV which we had not used in years due to the fact that DirectTV was satellite. I was skeptical of this hypothesis because our TV has no other problems.
2. There was a problem with the hardwiring/cables. Possibly the cables are only wired for DirectTV and Verizon needs different wiring.

Turns out number two was spot on. They didn't even have it wired for TV. Thank goodness we didn't have to pay for anything. That is the last thing we need. Right now, I'm just glad it's over with. That DVR had better work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.