Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Alas, Marketing is Over

Today is the second to last day of my J-term Marketing Class and I've never been ready to be done with a course in my life. Something about studying only one subject for an entire month at a rate of three hours a day is extremely energy-draining no matter what the subject is. With the final looming ahead tomorrow I should probably be studying, but hey, I'm working at the desk where I'm going to get interrupted anyway, so might as well share my thoughts on marketing.

I'm really glad I chose to take this class - I found it increasingly interesting as the term went on and was surprised at the things I learned about marketing that I did not know before. Being extremely non-exposed to how businesses work at all, I viewed marketing as advertising, or merely the selling of a product, which I typically looked down upon due to the annoying presence of sales people and telemarketing. (Not to mention the banner ads on websites) Marking is about satisfying customer wants and needs, not trying to sell a product, its about creating a relationship with people. My professor also showed a large interest for internet technology, which, being a computer science major, is right up my alley.

I learned the most in the area of marketing ethics. I realized I had unconsciously categorized marketing as an evil subject, something that God would not look upon with favor. I soon came to realize that marketing done with morals in mind and with a truthful mindset is a very successful career. While I have no intention of changing my major to marketing or entering that field in the job, I have a higher respect for marketers in general after learning what exactly marketing is. That being said, I did really enjoy marketing, but enough is enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.