Tuesday, January 27, 2015

5 Things I Learned My First Semester

So 2014 was the start of college for me, and today I am sitting at my college library, where I pretty much live, chilling with coffee and eating the orange that I stuck in my backpack this morning. (If you don't believe me, check my Instagram) As I sit here, I realized that I am not the same person that I was when I stumbled onto campus August last year, paralyzed by the fear of having to meet new people and *gasp* live with them. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to adapt to this new life, I was homeschooled, used to working at my own pace and making my own schedule. I'm here to say I survived, and here are five things I learned my first semester.

1.) Your roommates and hall residents don't have to be your friends.











I came to college thinking that the roommates to which I had been assigned to and the people on my floor would become my best friends. I could not have been more wrong. By the second month I soon discovered that the people on my hall had formed mini groups and cliques, of which I had no desire to be with. And, to be honest, I cannot remember all of their names. And it is all ok. I don't talk to my roommates on a regular basis; we try to coexist with each other in silence. I realized that I made friends on my own at the places on campus I am often at like the library and my classes. So, a tip: don't confine yourself to the people you first meet. It will change, and you will grow.



2.) Your dorm is NOT the place to study.

Gathered, I am in a supplemental triple in which is cramped as it is (for those of you who don't know it is a room for two with three forced into it), however this is a vital tip if you plan on doing well in your classes. I discovered during the first two weeks of college that my roommates clearly lied when they filled out their housing applications. They sleep in past 11, go to bed after 3am, and live uncanny night owl lives that I fail to meet the expectations of. After several attempts of trying to work with no light on in my room, I decided to pack up every night for the next morning as if I would be out all day. Problem solved. I work at the library, so doing homework there was not a problem. Also, it ended up being closer to the dining hall and my main academic building, so bonus points.














Aside from the convenience aspect of this for me, it is scientifically proven that if you work in the same room you relax and sleep in, your brain will be less active. Who doesn't want to study at the library? More books for information; the place literally reeks academia. So theoretically, it is better to do your homework away from your bed and your room. Another college life tip. Save your room for relaxing after your long day.













3.) Get a smartphone.

Yeah yeah, your parents may tell you it is more expensive, you can't afford that kind of bill and that nonsense. Thing is, they are WRONG. It's 2015, people. GET. A. SMARTPHONE. Here are my reasons: 1.) Campus Safety. A lot of colleges use a text alert system in case something goes wrong. You can be notified immediately, and are more up to date on what is happening. You may say that a less "smart" phone can do this, however unlimited texting is often not a feature of the cellular dinosaurs. 2.) Connect with friends. You cannot coordinate mealtimes, meet ups with that group you have a dumb project with, or contact your friends if you don't have unlimited texting, or the use of a smartphone, where you have instant access to email and Facebook messaging. 3.) Your Calendar. Yep, most calendars are online now, and the benefit of being able to access it at your fingertips is priceless. Long story short, get a smartphone. It will make your life much easier. I know it did for me. Seriously, just upgrade your phone.
















4.) Initiate plans.

I cannot stress how important this is. I started college unconsciously expecting other people to initiate plans with me. I then felt anxious when they didn't. As an introvert, this was possibly one of the hardest parts of starting college, and it still is taking me some getting used to. But it is extremely rewarding. Do yourself a favor, and text that person(s). They feel the same way you do, so help them out.














5.) Be yourself and like your stuff, because no one cares.

In grade school everyone judges your personal interests, and so you learn to suppress them. College is like 200% different. No one cares what you like, you are all adults and are entitled to your own opinions. Bask in the nerdiness, or if you are me, blast your kpop and stream all the Doctor Who you want. Find fellow nerd friends and geek out together. Ultimately it doesn't matter, you are all at college, and there is no standard.












And...that sums it up. I'm sure I'm going to learn much more, and when I do, I will share it with you. Now I need to get back to my Marketing homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.