Friday, August 15, 2014

The Christian Anime Fan

I've read a lot of articles online that have discussed this controversial topic. I know Christians who are anime fans, and I myself watch a good bit of anime and enjoy it. But I have gotten looks and words from other Christians who feel this isn't in line with the scriptures. So I wanted to write about this confusing topic. Should a Christian watch anime?


Now a lot of anime is not appropriate and does not glorify God. But there are a lot of good quality ones that have important moral messages and are just plain fun. If you're a parent, then it really is just what you feel comfortable letting your child watch. There are websites such as http://www.christiananime.net/ that can help you understand the content in an anime before watching it.

TWWK at Beneath the Tangles writes:

"Many people probably wonder how I can hold these two things, Christian faith and anime, together with any integrity. And I have to admit: it’s not always easy. Then again, nothing is easy when you’re dealing with stories, no matter where they come from or who tells them: my faith teaches that we’re fallen, after all. And stories form the way we look at the world, and the ones we identify with closest become part of our very identities. We have to know whose story is guiding our lives." 


If you are having doubts about whether you are doing what is right, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Is What I Am Watching Glorifying God?
2. How Am I Benefiting From Watching This?
3. What Kind of Impact is this Having on My Life?

1. Is What I Am Watching Glorifying God?
I realize that there are a lot of different opinions when it comes to what glorifies God and what does not. But it comes down to this: If you feel guilty about it, or feel that Jesus wouldn't approve of what you are watching, don't watch it.

2. How Am I Benefiting From Watching This?
There can be a lot of benefits from watching anime. However, this also comes with a negative side. For example, while Ouran High School Host Club may have a lot of good morals about friendship and being yourself, the inappropriate situations/language/themes pretty much overshadow that. I'm not saying that anime should be always educational and never have any negative themes, but it there should be a significantly more amount of positive, upright themes than the negative.

3. What Kind of Impact is this Having on My Life?
Sometimes we get pretty obsessed with stuff. For me, this is a constant struggle, and I have to constantly remind myself of what is most important. If you can't think about anything else, you should stop. (I mean, this applies to everything) When what you are watching starts to take over everything about you, it's unhealthy. As TWWK said, we have to know whose story is guiding our lives. As Christians, we are to follow God - we must keep this is mind in everything we do/watch.

Well I hope this was helpful. Please realize that these are all my personal opinions and I apologize if it hurt anyone's feelings.


6 comments:

  1. I really liked this! I watch a lot of anime, and sometimes, I have to pull myself out of it and think "Would Jesus want me to watch this?" It's a struggle, but I'm glad anime exists, because I've learned so much from my various favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. I wanted to do an article like this for a while, it just took me a bit to get back into blogging after school. What's your favorite anime?

      Delete
    2. I'm a big fan of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and despite its flaws, I enjoy Ouran High School Host Club. It was actually the first anime that I watched ever, so I have a soft spot for it. However, that doesn't mean the negatives to it don't frustrate the dickens out of me. Me and my sister watch it together, and every time something bad/inappropriate/un-Christian comes up, we discuss it and why that's wrong.

      Delete
    3. Yeah I liked Ouran to a certain degree. My first anime was Clannad...So I think I was spoiled. That's cool you watch it with your sister! None of my sisters are interested in watching it with me.

      Delete
    4. ooooh...I'd forgotten about Clannad. That show made me bawl like a baby. Or maybe that was Clannad: After Story. I just remember watching them right after I had my wisdom teeth removed, and everything was crazy emotional. I should go back and rewatch them...

      She's nice to have as a watching buddy. :) I enjoy anime a little more on the action/adventure side of things, but she loves a good romance/light-hearted show, so I get to experience both spectrums because of her. :)

      Also--I nominated you for the Liebster Award today! http://emptycornerofmymind.blogspot.com/2014/08/twice-liebster.html. Thanks for being such a lovely blogger!

      Delete
    5. Yeah Clannad: After Story was the one that made me cry.
      Aww thanks! I have done it :D

      Delete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from people.